Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the Refugio County Courthouse exemplifies Classic Revival styling with prairie school influence.
King’s Park, located across the street from the Refugio Courthouse, is named after Amon King, a leader in the Texian Army during the war for independence. On March 2, 1836, Mexican general José de Urrea defeated a small Texian force at the Battle of Agua Dulce. General Urrea then won another victory over the Texians, who were led by King, at the Battle of Refugio. Less than three weeks later, many of King’s men surrendered at Coleto Creek and were imprisoned at Goliad. They were executed on Palm Sunday, victims of the infamous Goliad Massacre. King and his men are commemorated in a statue in King’s Park.