The original city of Laredo, established in 1755, is represented today by the San Agustín de Laredo Historic District, listed on the National Register of Historic Places since 1973. Bounded approximately by Grant and Water Streets and Convent and San Bernardino Avenues, the historic district contributes to Laredo’s Texas Main Street city status thanks to efforts made to revitalize many of the historic structures representing Laredo’s past. Included in the district is the once-Capitol of the Republic of the Rio Grande, now a historical museum, a stone and adobe structure that served as headquarters for the short-lived revolt by Rio Grande colonies against the Santa Anna government in 1839. The focal point of the district is the San Agustín Roman Catholic Church, established in 1778, a work of Gothic Revival architecture featuring a five-story spired tower that overshadows the San Agustín Plaza. Residential structures, including Casa Vidaurri and Casa Ortiz, represent the gracious living quarters of early Hispanic citizens comprising the non-commercial and non-civic aspects of the historic district. La Posada Hotel occupies the original Laredo High School building and the historic convent next door. Much of the district can be admired from Zaragoza Street, a narrow, one-way street lined with the historic buildings and swaying palms.