In 1793, Spanish friars built their last Texas mission nearly 30 miles northwest of here. Two years later, Nuestra Señora del Refugio (Our Lady of Refuge) Mission was relocated to present-day Refugio. Karankawa resistance and Comanche raids closed the mission in 1824. Irish immigrants of the 1830s rebuilt the mission church and named the town Refugio. A 1901 Gothic Revival incarnation of Our Lady of Refuge Church sits on the original mission site.