Established on an ancient ford site. The first recorded usage was by Spanish explorers and colonists under Jose de Escandon in the 1740s. A salt trail led from here to El Sal del Rey, an important salt source from prehistoric times through the mid-20th century. The ford was used by Mexican War troops, Texas Rangers chasing cattle rustlers and by smugglers especially during the American prohibition years. The Ferry inspection station was established in 1950. Named for the ebony trees here, the Los Ebanos Ferry is the last hand powered, three car ferry over the Rio Grande to Mexico and is the only international ferry operating on U.S. borders. The ferry rests at an ancient river ford 14 miles west in the community of Los Ebanos.
Watch the video below to learn more about the cultural corridor that lines the Texas and Mexico border. This video was produced for inclusion in the Hispanic Texans mobile tour, more information about which may be found on our Hispanic heritage page at the following link: http://texastimetravel.com/travel-themes/main-hispanic-heritage