Defined by a forest of palm trees planted throughout the grounds, the Casa de Palmas Hotel lies across the street from Archer Park, a city block of McAllen’s downtown district fully landscaped and named in honor of one of the hotel’s developers and the town’s second mayor O. P. Archer. Upon completion in 1918, the luxury hotel, designed in a classic Spanish Colonial Revival style, was considered the social center of McAllen and one of thestate’s top luxury destinations. According to an article published in Monty’s Monthly in February 1919, “Every one of the sixty rooms of the hotel is an outside one, and so arranged that they get a south or east breeze right off the gulf, making the most delightful sleeping apartments at all seasons of the year…Steam heat, hot and cold running water, a beautiful salon for ladies…private dining rooms…every detail necessary to conducting a strictly first class tourist and commercial hotel.” During the same year it received this rave review, the hotel served as refuge for many McAllen citizens during the 1919 hurricane that devastated cities along the Texas gulf coast. The hotel (and its sheltered) survived undamaged.
Today, the Casa de Palmas Hotel continues to offer luxurious accommodations in the heart of downtown McAllen as well as a first class destination for meetings, events, weddings, celebrations, and fine dining.