The Battle of Palmito Ranch was the last land battle of the Civil War. It took place on May 12-13, 1865, weeks after the Confederate surrender at Appomattox Courthouse in Virginia. Union foot soldiers, including some from the 62nd U.S. Colored Infantry stationed on Brazos Island on the Texas Coast, came ashore on the night of May 11 en route to seize Brownsville. The Confederate troops outnumbered the Union forces and also possessed artillery and cavalry units. The Union troops were forced to retreat to Brazos Island. When visiting this site, watch for the marker as the site is largely undeveloped and not obvious from the road. Also, a good pair of walking shoes or boots is recommended.
A few hundred yards east of Palmito Hill Road is the Texas Historical Commission's Official Texas historical marker to the battle, located on the northern edge of the core-battlefield area, next to the highway.